Sydney, 15 December 2021. Holiday cheer came early this week for Viatris employees as they volunteered at Feel the Magic, an Australian charity providing early intervention grief education programs for kids aged 7 to 17 experiencing pain and isolation due to the death of a parent, guardian, or sibling.
It’s a cause particularly close to Josephine Maltese, Commercial Operations Analyst at Viatris, who has been volunteering with Feel the Magic since March 2020 and especially important as we head into the holiday period and families come together.
“The charity’s response to COVID-19 was impressive. Feel the Magic created whole new programs, ‘Healthy Grieving Virtual Camp’ and ‘Let’s Talk Suicide”, said Maltese. “I wish I had their support to help me grieve the loss of my sister when I was younger.”
Feel the Magic creates a transformational weekend where kids work together on fun physical challenges and learn vital skills to aid healing and coping with grief. Every child is matched with a mentor who makes them feel safe by being a constant source of support and guidance. ‘Campers’ leave ready to face the road ahead, with a circle of friends and a mentor for life – knowing that they are strong enough to live with their grief and heal.
“Viatris is proud to be supporting employees who wish to mentor or volunteer at Feel the Magic in December and beyond. Our hope is that our contribution will provide important care to children experiencing grief from the loss of a parent, sibling, or guardian,” said Sylvain Vigneault, Viatris Australia Country Manager.
In addition to its work with Feel the Magic, Viatris Australia has worked with global and local partners on a variety of philanthropic efforts through 2021, including supporting education, community health programs and better access to treatment.
- Viatris made a significant donation of antibiotics, cardiovascular medicines, analgesics, musculoskeletal medicines, vitamins and antihistamines to Youth With A Mission (YWAM), to aid its medical mission to Papua New Guinea earlier this year.
- Viatris employees made valuable blood and plasma donations to Life Blood, a photo competition was run in which employees were invited to submit photos of their donation experience. This charity initiative was a huge success, with employees making 194 blood and plasma donations with the potential to save 582 lives.
The manufacturing facility at Carole Park in Queensland is home to more than 600 Viatris employees who have supported several local charities throughout the year.
- Earlier this year, employees banded together to raise close to $12000 for Hummingbird House, Queensland’s only children’s hospice.
- Many of Carole Park’s employees are in daily contact with colleagues from the manufacturing site in India and contributed more than $9,000 to the Red Cross Australia COVID India Appeal when the country was devasted by the pandemic.
- Carole Park employees also donated to Jane McGrath Foundation and The Bravery Box, raising more than $14,500 and $15,700 respectively.
In addition, there are five Viatris-sponsored charities which employees can donate to via ongoing fortnightly salary deductions. These charities are:
- Cancer Council
- Variety the Children’s Charity
- Beyond Blue
Employees can also access up to two days a year to volunteer at one of the charities or a charity that has special meaning for them.
“We are committed to supporting the communities in which we operate in and are privileged to be able to contribute through philanthropic giving, partnerships or volunteering to support access to education and healthcare as well as local community programs,” Vigneault said.
Viatris Inc. (NASDAQ: VTRS) is a new kind of healthcare company, empowering people worldwide to live healthier at every stage of life. We provide access to medicines, advance sustainable operations, develop innovative solutions and leverage our collective expertise to connect more people to more products and services through our one-of-a-kind Global Healthcare Gateway®. Formed in November 2020, Viatris brings together scientific, manufacturing and distribution expertise with proven regulatory, medical and commercial capabilities to deliver high-quality medicines to patients in more than 165 countries and territories. Viatris' portfolio comprises more than 1,400 approved molecules across a wide range of therapeutic areas, spanning both non-communicable and infectious diseases, including globally recognized brands, complex generic and branded medicines, a growing portfolio of biosimilars and a variety of over-the-counter consumer products. With a global workforce of approximately 38,000, Viatris is headquartered in the U.S., with global centers in Pittsburgh, Shanghai and Hyderabad, India. Learn more at viatris.com and investor.viatris.com, and connect with us on Twitter at @ViatrisInc, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Communications Manager, Australia and New Zealand
M: +61 449 902 687